Designed for people who need to build or rebuild their credit, the Credit One Bank Platinum Visa for Rebuilding Credit is a card that offers a rotating credit line with no need to put down a security deposit. While many people will pay an annual fee for the card, it also offers 1% cashback on select purchases.
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa for Rebuilding Credit
Rewards Earning Rate 1% cash back on eligible purchases including gas, groceries, and phone services.
Performance of Credit One Bank Platinum Visa For Rebuilding Credit 2022
When compared among all low-cost cards in our database:
- Low Fees
- Security/Customer Experience
- Low Interest
Full Review of Credit One Bank Platinum Visa For Rebuilding Credit 2022
- Credit access without a security deposit
- 1% cashback on select purchases
- Periodic credit-line reviews
- Annual fee
- The credit limit can be low.
- Issues with customer service
Pros Explained Of Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
Credit access without a security deposit: Most credit cards designed for people with poor credit or no credit are secured, meaning they require you to put down a security deposit on the card.
The Credit One Visa for Rebuilding Credit is unsecured, so there’s no need for a deposit. You also get access to a revolving line of credit. The minimum credit line you can receive is $300.
- 1% cash back on select purchases: With the Credit One Visa for Rebuilding Credit, you’ll receive 1% cash back on eligible purchases of gas, groceries, mobile phone service, Internet service, and cable and satellite TV services.
A 1% rewards rate is relatively low for a rewards credit card. However, credit cards designed for people with poor credit often have no rewards at all, so being able to earn some cash back on select purchases is a decent perk.
- Periodic reviews of the credit line: Credit One will periodically review your account and payment history. If you’ve been using your account responsibly and making all of your payments on time, you could automatically qualify for an increase to your credit limit.
Having a larger credit limit gives you more spending power. And, when you have a higher limit, you may find it easier to maintain a lower ratio of credit utilization, assuming your average card spending level doesn’t increase.
Your credit utilization-or how much of your available credit you use-accounts for 30% of your credit score. With a lower credit utilization (along with responsible card use and other favorable credit behavior), you can potentially boost your credit score over time and possibly qualify for other credit cards or loans.
Cons Explained Of Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
- Annual fee: The Credit One Visa for Rebuilding Credit card does have an annual fee, as do most unsecured credit building cards. The fee is $75 the first year and $99 after that and is charged against your credit line. A similar card, the AvantCard, has a maximum fee of $59, so this card’s $99 maximum is relatively high.
- The credit limit may be low: This card’s minimum initial credit line of $300 is roughly in line with the minimum credit line options with other secured cards, but some cards offer higher maximum lines provided.
Of course, you are willing and able to qualify for a higher limit with a deposit of an equal amount with a secured card. Credit One says it will review your credit line from time to time and may raise it.
Still, if you have more than $300 for a security deposit, a secured card will provide the ability to charge more to a card, at least initially, than will the Credit One Visa for Rebuilding Credit.
- Issues with customer service: Credit One’s customer service for this card is not up to the norm for the credit-card industry in several respects.
Human 24/7 phone support is available only for lost or stolen cards, where most issuers provide it continuously. Unlike most other issuers, Credit One does not offer online chat. But evidently, the company worked on its customer service.
In 2020, Credit One was the last out of 11 national card issuers in the J.D. Power U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study. But they jumped to third in the 2021 poll.
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa For Rebuilding Credit is Best for?
- Seeks to maximize cashback earnings across spending categories
- Cash Back Strategist
- Motivated to create a positive credit history
- Credit Builder
The Credit One Visa for Rebuilding Credit aims to appeal to people with poor credit or no credit at all who want a credit card without the need to put down money to do so.
According to Equifax, poor credit is a score under 600. FICO tells us that 18.9% of Americans have a score below 600. Unlike secured cards aimed at credit-deficient consumers, the Credit One Visa for Rebuilding Credit offers access to a revolving line of credit without a security deposit.
It’s also a card for those willing to pay an annual fee, although it may be $0 for some applicants. However, it could be offset by 1% cash-back rewards on some categories of everyday spending.
Standard Benefits of Credit One Bank Platinum Visa For Rebuilding Credit
The Credit One Visa for Rebuilding Credit offers a few benefits that are standard for basic credit cards, including:
- Free online access to your Experian credit report
- Zero fraud liability
Cardholder Experience of Credit One Bank Platinum Visa For Rebuilding Credit
Credit One improved its ranking in terms of customer service. In the 2020 J.D. Power U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study, Credit One was ranked last out of 11 national card issuers in customer satisfaction. Its score of 739 was well below the average, but it improved to the third spot in the 2021 poll.
Its general customer support line is only staffed during select hours. However, if your card is lost or stolen, you can get help 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling 1-877-825-3242. There are no chat or email options for customer service.
Security Features of Credit One Bank Platinum Visa For Rebuilding Credit
This card has a few features that are standard for credit cards, such as fraud alerts and zero fraud liability.
- Charges to Watch out For: If you’re thinking of applying for this card, there are four fees (in addition to a possible annual fee charge) that you should be aware of first. Neither is unusual for the industry, but a first-time credit-card owner might be unfamiliar with them:
- Foreign transaction fees: If you use the card when traveling outside of the United States, you’ll pay a fee of $1 or 3% of each transaction, whichever is greater.
- Cash advance fees: If you take out a cash advance, the cash advance fee is $5 or 8% of the amount, whichever is greater. If you took out a $100 cash advance, that means you’d pay $8 in fees. You could also have $10 or 3% or a third possibility of $10 or 5%. It is not stated how they choose what fee you get.
- Authorized user fees: If you want to add an authorized user to the account, such as your spouse or child, you’ll have to pay a $19 annual fee. The fee will also reduce the amount of your available credit.
- Late payment fees: If you’re late paying your minimum monthly payment, you’ll be charged up to $39 in late fees.
First Progress Credit Card Reviews – Things You Should Know
Best Credit Card For 17-Year-Old
Best Credit Cards for Young Adults
Barclays Bank Swift Code For International Wire Transfer
Amazon Credit Card Approval Odds – How To Get Approved
If you have poor credit or no credit history, the Credit One Bank Platinum Visa for Rebuilding Credit can give you access to an unsecured line of credit and the ability to earn rewards on your purchases.
The card resembles AvantCard, another unsecured card with a lower maximum annual fee ($59, compared with $99 for this card) but offers no rewards, which could potentially justify that gap in annual fee expense.
My Name is MIKKY, I’ve been on the internet for years building legit ways to make money online. I am a proud promoter of financial literacy (Making money, building wealth and investment). On this website, I try things out and share them with you guys. Read More about me on the about page.