In this article, we will be discussing how to close a chime account. In as much as chime is a great banking alternative to traditional banks because they have no hidden fees and are great for personal banking. However, you don’t have to feel obligated to continue with your account should you want to switch to a better alternative.
If you decide to close your account after a few days or years of use, make sure you fully understand the process. You don’t want to pay extra or leave money without access to your Chime account.
Below, you’ll learn step by step how to close a Chime account, what if any fees are involved, as well as how to cancel other things related to Chime.
How to Close a Chime Account
While Chime has the following great benefits, such as no hidden fees and the ability to quickly transfer money between Chime accounts, closing and closing those accounts can be a little tricky.
There are not many instructions on the help page on the Chime website on how to close your account, so the following steps are necessary to close your Chime account.
- Step 1: Make sure your account is at zero with no pending transactions.
- Step 2: Unhook all your accounts from Chime, including any subscriptions you may have forgotten about.
- Step 3: Send an email to Chime at email@example.com requesting they delete your account.
- Step 4: Stay on top of customer support about closing your account to get your account closed faster.
- Step 5: Once Chime confirms your account is gone, send Chime support a follow-up email to ensure that your account is closed.
Chime Account Closing Fee
Fortunately, there are no fees to close your Chime account. However, if you have a negative balance, you will need to pay the difference before Chime closes your account. With this in mind, you should plan your account closure carefully.
Does Chime Close Inactive Accounts
No, Chime will not close an inactive account. However, if you break the terms and conditions when signing for a Chime account, then they have the right to close your account without warning.
Many neobanks, or online-only banks, have a stipulation that their accounts are for personal purposes only. According to Nasdaq, if chime suspects you use your account for business activity, then they will shut down your account. Those that do business work like freelancing are better off choosing a different online bank.
Also, if they suspect you have fraudulent dealings and use their account for that purpose, they will close your account without notice.
Closing Other Chime-Related Activities
Now that you know how to close a Chime account, let’s go over some other things you need to know about canceling Chime-related transactions.
How to Delete Amazon Chime Account
Closing an Amazon Chime account is much easier than closing your Chime checking account since you go through Amazon to delete it.
- Step 1: Go to the Amazon Chime console.
- Step 2: Enter “Settings” and then “Account.”
- Step 3: Click on the users’ page.
- Step 4: Select the users one at a time and remove them.
- Step 5: Go back to your account, and the “Account Actions.”
- Step 6: Click on “Delete Account.” Don’t forget to confirm the deletion.
When you delete your account, Amazon Chime deletes all user data along with it, so there’s no need to worry that your information is still around.
How to Cancel Subscriptions on Chime
Chime currently can’t manage active subscriptions, so you’ll have to cancel your subscription or manually change your payment methods. Using your phone as a subscription allows you to quickly sign out of the device. Sure, it’s a little more complicated on a computer, but in the end, it’s worth it.
How to Cancel a Payment on Chime
Payments between Chime accounts are speedy, so be careful when sending money to another Chime account if you’re not 100% sure about it. However, you can cancel any pending transaction with these simple steps:
- Log in to Chime.
- Go into your activity and select which pending transaction you want to cancel.
- Press the cancel button once to select that you wish to cancel that payment.
- Press the cancellation button again to confirm and cancel that transaction.
Canceling a Chime Debit Card
In the case of a lost or stolen Chime debit card, you can use your phone to make sure no one is going to steal your money before contacting support about canceling and reissuing a new card. Follow the steps below;
- Open Chime on your phone
- Go into Settings and then Security
- You’ll find a drop-down menu
- Click on the Chime card transaction and switch it from on to off
- Contact support about canceling your Chime debit card
Cancel Direct Deposit on Chime
You cannot cancel a direct deposit through Chime as this is usually done through a company or government. Instead, if you want to send money to an account other than your Chime account, you need to navigate to where you set up direct deposit.
Now you know all there is on how to close a chime account, and how to cancel or delete all chime-related activities. Feel free to check if your Chime account has been closed forever. Bank money that you did not expect to accumulate is neither pleasant nor rewarding.
Or, since you haven’t deleted your inactive account, disconnect all connections, reset your account, and get on with life.